All gasoline engines equipped with electric fuel pumps maintain fuel pressure even when the engine is not operating. Because of this, residual pressure may remain in the fuel system for several hours after the engine is shut down.
To relieve the fuel system pressure on vehicles equipped with gasoline engines, perform the following:
- Locate the fuel pump fuse, and remove it from the fuse panel.
- Operate the engine until it runs out of fuel and stops.
- Remove the fuel filler cap.
- For safety purposes, disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Proceed with the necessary fuel system component repairs. When finished, install the fuel pump fuse and connect the negative battery cable. Don't forget to install the fuel filler cap.