Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove cover at left above battery.
Turn the ignition
, then disconnect the negative battery cable.
NOTEAll cable ties opened or cut during engine removal must be reinstalled a same locations during installation.
Unfasten the bolts, then remove the engine cover.
Remove noise insulation pan, as shown in the accompanying illustration.
- Remove intake hose between Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor and Throttle valve control module.
- Remove the radiator grill.
- Unfasten the left and right side lock carrier bolts.
Fold the lock carrier with the radiator out toward the front of the vehicle.
- Unclip the cover from the ignition coils with power output stage.
Tag and disconnect the connectors from the ignition coils with power output stage and move the wiring harness aside.
- Remove ignition coils using T10094 extractor.
Detach the connector from the throttle valve control module.
- Open and close lid for expansion tank to release cooling system pressure.
Disconnect the coolant hoses from the throttle valve control module, then plug the ends of the hose.
Disconnect the two vacuum lines from the connecting piece of throttle valve control module.
- Unbolt center support between intake manifold and heat shield/exhaust manifold.
- Disconnect pressure hose at combination valve and connecting hose at cylinder head cover.
- Unclip pressure hose and all other lines from retainers at intake manifold and at cylinder head cover.
- Disconnect the vacuum hose from the combination valve.
Unbolt the intake manifold from the support at left rear of bracket from heat shield/exhaust manifold.
Unbolt the intake manifold from the support at right rear of bracket from heat shield/exhaust manifold.
Disconnect the electrical connector from Secondary Air Injection (AIR) solenoid valve and Secondary Air Injection (AIR) pump motor.
- Remove the secondary Air Injection (AIR) pump motor.
- Unbolt the oil dipstick guide pipe from the intake manifold.
- Remove the oil dipstick guide pipe.
- Remove the intake manifold mounting bolts, then remove intake manifold together with throttle valve control module.
Remove the intake manifold and place it on a suitable work bench so that the vacuum setting element is not damaged.
NOTESeal the intake channels in intake manifold and in cylinder head using a clean rag.
- Remove cylinder head cover.
Installation is reverse of the removal procedure, noting the following:
- First tighten intake manifold with lower part of intake manifold at cylinder head, then tighten bolts at rear supports.
- Top off coolant if necessary.
Tighten the following retainers to the specifications listed:
- Cylinder head cover-to-cylinder head: 7 ft. lbs. (10 Nm).
- Intake manifold-to-cylinder head: 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
- Intake manifold-to-support: 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
- Oil dipstick guide pipe to intake manifold: 3.5 ft. lbs. (5 Nm).
Check DTC memory:
- Adapt control module for engine electronics to throttle valve control module:
- Perform work procedure "Procedure to follow after interruption of voltage supply"
- Read readiness code:
If DTC memory was erased or Engine Control Module (ECM) was disconnected from continuous B+ supply, readiness code must be re-generated:
WARNINGObserve the following for all installations, especially in engine compartment due to lack of room: Route lines of all types (e.g. for fuel, hydraulic, EVAP canister system, coolant and refrigerant, brake fluid, vacuum) and electrical wiring so that the original path is followed. Watch for sufficient clearance to all moving or hot components.