Removal & Installation
When working on the steering column, always replace self-locking nuts and bolts. Welding or straighten work on any steering components is not permissible.
To avoid personal injury when working on vehicles equipped with an air bag, the negative battery cable must be disconnected before working on the system. Failure to do so may result in deployment of the air bag.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Wait 10 minutes for the battery back-up power to discharge.
- Remove the air bag unit and steering wheel, as outlined in this section.
- Remove trim below steering column switch.
- Remove trim above steering column switch.
Detach the connector from the steering column by pulling in direction of the arrow, shown in the accompanying illustration.
- Disconnect harness connectors to signal and windshield wiper switch.
Unfasten the mounting bolts, then disconnect signal and windshield wiper switch from steering column.
- Disconnect harness connector from steering lock housing.
- Drill out mounting bolt for steering lock housing.
- Install hex nut on steering column to secure steering wheel.
- Remove clamping washer.
- Pull off steering lock housing from steering column tube and steering rod tube.
- Set steering lock housing in place and lightly tighten using new snap-off screw.
- The remainder of installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.