- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Wait 10 minutes for the battery back-up power to discharge.
Turn the steering wheel until the steering wheel spoke is in a vertical position.
- Insert a screwdriver about 175mm long into the bore of steering wheel pan from the rear side (insert screwdriver to a depth of about 45mm).
Press screwdriver in direction of the arrow shown in the accompanying illustration. In this case, the clamp will be pressed back and the catch of the airbag unit will then disengage.
- Turn steering wheel back 180° and disengage the second catch on the opposite side.
- Turn steering wheel back to the to center position (wheels in straight-ahead position).
- Disconnect harness connector from airbag unit.
- Turn the steering wheel until the steering wheel spoke is in a vertical position.
- Make sure the steering wheel is in the center position (wheels in straight-ahead position).
- For vehicles with ESP, disconnect the connector from the Steering Angle Sensor.
Remove the hex nut, then pull the steering wheel off of the steering column.
- Installation of the steering wheel is the reverse of the removal procedure. Tighten the steering wheel hex nut to 50 ft. lbs. (67 Nm).
- Install the steering wheel air bag unit in the reverse of the removal procedure.
- Connect the negative battery cable.