REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
Procedures for discharging and servicing the air conditioning system are described in General Information And Maintenance . If a refrigerant recovery/recycling machine is not available, this job should be done at the dealer or a shop that has this equipment.
- Discharge the air conditioning system into a refrigerant recovery/recycling machine.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Unplug the wiring from the magnetic clutch on the compressor.
- Disconnect the suction and the discharge lines from the compressor head. Cap or plug the openings in the compressor and the lines immediately.
- Loosen the tension of the accessory belts, then remove them. If necessary, remove any accessories or components which may interfere with compressor removal.
On some models with diesel engines, it may be necessary to remove the injection pump. Instructions for pump removal, installation and timing adjustment appear in Fuel System
- Remove the bolts securing the compressor, then remove it from the vehicle.
- Install the compressor to the bracket but do not tighten the bolts at this time.
- Connect the coolant lines to the compressor.
- Install any accessories or components (including the injection pump on diesel engines) removed earlier and all accessory belts. Adjust the belt tension (refer to General Information And Maintenance ).
- Connect the wiring to the compressor.
- Connect the battery cable.
- Evacuate and recharge the air conditioning system.