REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Standard (Non-ABS) Brakes
See Figures 1 and 2
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- To prevent brake fluid from spilling out and damaging the paint, place a protective cover over the fender.
- Disconnect and cap the brake lines to keep dirt out. Use flare nut or line wrenches.
- Disconnect the wiring from the switches.
- Remove the two master cylinder mounting nuts and pull the master cylinder away from the booster.
Do not depress the brake pedal while the master cylinder is removed.To install:
- Position the master cylinder and reservoir assembly onto the studs and install the washers and nuts. Torque the nuts to 10 ft. lbs. (14 Nm) on Dashers and 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm) on other models.
- Remove the plugs and connect the brake lines.
- Bleed the brake system.
- Connect the battery cable.
Volkswagen refers to the master cylinder on ABS systems as the hydraulic modulator. For removal and installation, follow the procedure outlined later in this section.
Volkswagen does not recommend rebuilding master cylinders; service parts are not available from the dealer network.