REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
This special procedure is applicable to 5-cylinder Quantum models only.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the accessory drive belts.
- Remove the timing belt cover.
- Turn the engine until cylinder No. 1 is at TDC on the compression stroke. You can turn the engine by using a socket on the damper bolt.
- Attach VW tool 2084 to the damper, then loosen the damper center bolt.
- Slacken the timing belt tension (refer to the timing belt procedures).
- Remove the damper bolt, then use a puller to remove the damper from the crankshaft.
- Install the damper onto the crankshaft.
- Install the timing belt (refer to the timing belt procedures). Make sure the timing marks are aligned and the belt is properly tensioned.
- Coat the threads of the damper bolt with Loctite® or a similar thread locking compound. Thread the damper bolt onto the crankshaft.
- Install VW tools 2084 and 2079. These tools must be used to torque the damper bolt. Tighten the bolt to 258 ft. lbs. (350 Nm)
- Install the timing belt cover and all accessory drive belts.
- Connect the negative battery cable.