REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
Some diesel and gasoline engines use two spring clamps to connect the exhaust pipe to the manifold. If spring clips are used, they require the use of a special wedge tool kit 3140 for removal and installation.
- Disconnect the EGR tube from the exhaust manifold (if equipped).
- Remove the air pump components or any other type of interference which would prevent access to the exhaust manifold.
- Remove the air cleaner hose from the exhaust manifold.
- Disconnect the intake manifold and support (if equipped). Raise and support the front end.
Separate the front exhaust pipe from the manifold or turbocharger and remove any heat shields. If the front exhaust pipe is in the way, unbolt it from the converter and remove it completely. On Scirocco with automatic transaxle, remove the starter motor heat shield, starter wiring and remove the starter. To expand the spring clamp:
- Push the exhaust pipe to one side and insert the longer starter wedge into the clamp all the way up to the shoulder.
- Push the pipe to the other side and install a wedge into the opposite clamp. Continue to work the pipe side to side while pushing the wedges into the clamps. The wedge must be inserted all the way to its shoulder.
- Push the pipe to one side again, grasp the opposite clamp and wedge with locking pliers and remove them together. Do not remove the wedge if the same clamp is to be installed again.
- Unplug the connector from the oxygen sensor (if equipped), then unscrew the sensor from the exhaust manifold.
- If equipped, remove the CO probe tube and tube clamp from the manifold.
- Remove the turbocharger (turbo diesels).
- Remove the nuts/bolts securing the manifold, then remove it from the engine. Clean the cylinder head and manifold mating surfaces. Make sure that all traces of the old gasket material are removed. Inspect the intake manifold for cracks and the gasket surfaces for warpage. If the manifold is damaged, replace it.
- Using a new gasket, install the exhaust manifold. Tighten the nuts to 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm). Start from the center and work outwards.
- On turbo diesels, install the turbocharger.
- Connect the CO probe tube to the manifold and install the tube clamp (if equipped).
- If equipped, screw the oxygen sensor into the exhaust manifold with a new gasket and plug in the connector. Lubricate the threads of the sensor with high temperature sealant and torque the sensor nut to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm). Make sure that the sealant is applied only to the threads of the nut and not the slots of the sensor.
- Connect the front exhaust pipe to the turbocharger or manifold using a new gasket. On Scirocco with automatic transaxle, install the starter, wiring and starter heat shield.
Some exhaust systems use nuts to connect the exhaust pipe to the manifold, while others use spring clamps. If spring clamps are used, the gasket (which looks like a donut) is reusable unless it was leaking or damaged.
- Install the heat deflector shield and intake manifold support. Torque the heat deflector shield fasteners to 7 ft. lbs. (10 Nm).
- Connect the air cleaner hose to the manifold.
- Install any interfering component that was removed to gain access to the exhaust manifold.
- Connect the EGR tube (if equipped).