REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Remove timing belt cover(s), timing belt and intermediate shaft drive sprocket.
- On 8-valve gasoline engines, remove the distributor. On carbureted engines, remove the fuel pump.
- Remove the mounting flange retaining bolts. Thread the sprocket bolt onto the shaft finger-tight, then remove the flange and shaft by pulling on the sprocket bolt.
- Remove flange from the intermediate shaft and install a new oil seal.
- Lubricate the oil seal lips with oil. When installing the mounting flange, be sure the oil return hole is at the bottom. Tighten the flange mounting bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
- Install the sprocket. Tighten the bolt to 58 ft. lbs. (79 Nm) on 8-valve engines, 48 ft. lbs. (65 Nm) on 16-valve engines and 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm) on diesel engines.