REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Remove the camshaft.
If the cylinder head is still on the engine:
- Remove the spark plug and make sure the piston is at the bottom of the stroke.
- Install an air adaptor fitting into the spark plug hole and apply 87 psi of air pressure to the cylinder.
- Install the valve spring compressor tools onto the cylinder head and press down on the handle. The upper seat should move down on the stem so the keepers can be removed with a magnet.
- Remove the keepers, upper seat and valve spring. If necessary, replace the oil seal.
- Install the valve spring and upper seat. Compress the spring and install the keepers.
- If applicable, remove the air adaptor fitting.
- Install the camshaft.
See Figure 2
Free length, installed height and force specifications are not available from Volkswagen. If the free length or squareness of the spring varies more than 1 / 16 inches (1.5mm) from side to side, the pair of springs must be replaced.