See Figure 1Cylinder Head Removed
- With the valve springs removed, hold the valve in place and slip the protector sleeve over the valve stem.
- Lightly oil the seal and fit it over the protector sleeve.
- Push the seal into place with the installation tool.
- Install the valve springs.
This procedure requires an air adaptor fitting that threads into a spark plug hole. Also required is the special valve spring tool, VW 541.
- Remove the camshaft.
- Remove the spark plug and make sure the piston is at the bottom of the stroke.
- Install an air adaptor fitting into the spark plug hole and apply 85 psi of air pressure to the cylinder.
- Install the valve spring tools onto the cylinder head and press down on the handle. The upper seat should move down on the stem so the keepers can be removed.
- With the valve spring and old oil seal remov