REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2Pipes Secured With Spring Clamps
Special tools are required to remove and install the exhaust pipe-to-manifold spring clamps, VW tool numbers 3140/1 and 3140/2.
- Disconnect the oxygen sensor wiring.
- Push the pipe to one side to expand the opposite clamp. Insert the starter wedge into the expanded clamp.
- Push the pipe to the other side and insert a wedge into the clamp.
- Push the pipe the other way again to expand the clamp further. It should be possible to grab the wedge with locking pliers and pry the clamp off the pipe flange.
- Leave the wedges in the clamps and put them in a box so they won't be disturbed and fly apart.
- To remove the wedge from the clamp, set the clamp in the partially open jaws of a vise. Carefully drive the long starter wedge in to spread the clamp further (there will be 2 wedges in the clamp).
- Turn the clamp over and carefully drive the short wedge out, then the longer wedge.
- If new clamps are to be used, set the clamp on the vise and use the starter wedge to spread it far enough to install the short wedge. Remove the starting wedge.
- Fit the pipe and gasket into place. Tilt the pipe to one side to install the clamp, then push it to the other side to install the other clamp.
- Push the pipe side-to-side as necessary to expand the clamps enough to remove the wedges.
- Disconnect the oxygen sensor wiring and remove the heat shield.
- Disconnect the catalytic converter from the exhaust pipe.
- Remove the nuts to remove the pipe from the manifold.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Use new gaskets and self-locking nuts. Torque the pipe-to-manifold nuts to 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm) on Quantum (5-cylinder and diesel) and Fox or 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm) on others. Tighten the front pipe-to-catalytic converter nuts to 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm).