REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Open the rear hatch fully and support it in place.
- Carefully remove the trim fasteners with a flat screwdriver and remove the trim.
- Disconnect the wiring and any tubing.
- Remove the ball studs from both the upper and lower ends of the struts and remove them.
Never disassemble the support strut, as it is filled with high pressure gas. Do not turn the piston rod and the cylinder when the piston rod is extended. When discarding the strut, drill a 0.08-0.12 in. (2-3mm) hole in the bottom of the damper or use a hack saw to release the gas. Make sure to protect yourself against any metal particles that may be thrown into the air by the compressed gas during drilling.
- Mark the position of the hinge on the hatch, then remove the nuts/bolts.
- Remove the rear hatch.
- Align the hatch with the scribe marks made earlier and loosely install the bolts/nuts.
- Connect the struts to the hatch. Engage any electrical wiring.
- If necessary, adjust the hatch, then tighten the nuts/bolts securely.
- To align the front-to-rear position of the hatch, loosen the hinge attaching bolts on both the hatch and the body.
- Position the hatch so the gap is even all the way around the hatch.
- To adjust the hatch closing position, loosen both the lock and striker bolts.