REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
When removing the left side (driver's side) control arm on the Rabbit, Jetta, Golf and Scirocco equipped with an automatic transaxle, remove the front left engine mounting, the nut for the rear mounting, the engine mounting support, then raise the engine to expose the front control arm bolt.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise the vehicle and support it on jackstands. Remove the wheels.
- Remove the nut and bolt attaching the ball joint to the hub (wheel bearing housing), then pry the joint down and out of the hub.
- Remove the stabilizer bar.
- Unbolt and remove the control arm-to-subframe (crossmember) mounting bolts on the Dasher and Quantum. On the Golf, Rabbit, Jetta and Scirocco, remove the control arm mounting bolts from the frame.
- Remove the bolts securing the control arm, then remove the arm.
Installation is the reverse of removal. Observe the following torques:
Dasher, Fox or Quantum control arm-to-subframe bolts-50 ft. lbs. (37 Nm).
- Remove the control arm.
- Position the control arm on a press. Carefully push the bushing out of the control arm using the press.
- Lightly lubricate, then position the bushing on the control arm. On Golf and Jetta models, align one arrow with the dimple on the control arm (the kidney shaped opening in the bushing must face the center of the vehicle when the control arm is installed).
- Carefully press the bushing into the control arm.
- Install the control arm.