REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
This procedures is applicable to Dashers only and requires the use of either special tool VW 655/3 or a suitable spring compressor.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise the car and support it on jackstands. Do not place the jackstands under the axle beam.
- Remove the wheel(s).
- Attach special tool VW 655/3 between the axle beam and a prefabricated hook hung on the body frame above the beam. Use the special tool or a suitable spring compressor to compress and hold the spring.
- Unbolt the shock absorber from the axle beam. Lower the axle beam just enough to remove the spring.
- If necessary, transfer the compressor to a new spring. Remember, the compressed spring is under considerable pressure. Relieve the tension slowly, according to the tool manufacturer's instructions.
- Install the spring.
- Connect the shock absorber to the axle beam. Carefully remove the spring compressor.
- Install the wheels, then lower the car to the ground.
- Connect the battery cable.