REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
This procedure is applicable to the Rabbit Pick-Up only.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Jack up the rear of the vehicle and support it with jackstands placed under the frame. Remove the wheel(s).
- Remove the parking brake cable from the spring and cut the tie-wrap.
- Support the rear axle on a jack. Do not put pressure on the spring.
- Remove the bottom shock absorber mount bolt.
- Remove the U-bolts and their spring plates. Loosen the upper and lower shackle bolts.
When removing the left side spring, perform these additional steps:
- Remove the three bolts from the exhaust system flange on the flex pipe.
- Unhook the exhaust system hangers.
- Remove the exhaust system.
- Remove the lower shackle bolt.
- Remove the front spring bolt and remove the spring.
- Install the spring. Tighten the bolts until just snug. The weight of the vehicle must be on the rear wheels before the leaf spring and shock absorber attaching bolts are fully tightened.
- If necessary, install the exhaust system.
- Connect the parking brake cable to the spring.
- Install the wheels, then lower the vehicle on the ground.
- Tighten the rear shackle bolts to 45 ft. lbs. (61 Nm), and the front bolt to 68 ft. lbs. (90 Nm). Tighten the U-bolt nuts and the lower shock absorber bolt to 29 ft. lbs. (40 Nm).
- Connect the battery cable.