REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the steering wheel, then remove the steering column covers.
- Remove the turn signal and wiper switches.
- Disconnect the ignition switch wiring.
On some models, the hole in the lock body for removing the ignition lock cylinder was not drilled by Volkswagen. To make the hole, use the following measurements in conjunction with the illustrations. Drill the hole where "a" and "b" intersect on the lock body. The hole should be drilled 0.19 in. (3mm) deep.
1974-77 Dasher-a= 0.45 in. (11.5mm) b= 0.32 in. (8mm)
- Remove the lock cylinder by pushing a small drill bit or piece of wire into the hole and pulling the cylinder out. It might be easier to insert the ignition key, turn it to the right a little and pull on it.
- Insert the lock cylinder into the housing with the key in the cylinder.
- While gently turning the key side-to-side, press the cylinder in to the stop. It should click into place.
- Temporarily fit the steering wheel onto the splines, then make sure the column locks and unlocks smoothly.
- Install the switches, column covers, wiring and the steering wheel.
- Connect the battery cable.