REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Working from the inside of the vehicle, remove the steering wheel as previously described.
- Remove the turn signal/headlight/wiper switches.
- Remove the ignition switch and the ignition lock cylinder.
- Carefully pry off the bearing support ring.
- Remove the shear bolt cover, then drill out the shear bolt(s). Remove the steering shaft support bolts and lower the steering column.
- Working from under the hood of the car, lower the dust boot and remove the bolt which secures the steering column to the universal joint shaft. On the Fox, the steering column is connected to a flange tube. Remove the retainer which holds the steering shaft to the flange tube.
- Working from inside the vehicle, remove the steering column.
- Position the steering column in the vehicle. On Fox models, hold the flange tube and the steering column together with pliers, then install the retainer.
Do not push the steering column into the universal joint using excessive force.
- Torque the universal shaft bolt to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm).
- Torque the steering shaft support bolt to 14 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
- Install new shear bolts and tighten until the heads shear off.
- Install the remaining components in the reverse of their removal.
- Make sure that the tires are straight ahead when the steering wheel is installed.
- Torque the steering wheel retaining bolt to 36 ft. lbs. (50 Nm).
- Connect the battery cable.