REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
Beginning in August 1988, the steering wheels with modified inner splines were introduced into production on some models. The column remains unchanged except for the addition of a short splined adapter sleeve pressed onto the splines of the steering column. The short splined adapter was replaced by the longer sleeve starting in January 1989.
- Grasp the center cover pad and pull it from the wheel. (Cover varies depending on model).
- Loosen and remove the steering shaft nut, then the washer.
- Matchmark the steering wheel position in relation to the steering shaft so that when you install it, the wheel is perfectly level when the tires are straight ahead.
- Pull the steering wheel off the shaft. You may need a puller to perform this operation. Under no circumstances should you bang on the shaft to try to free the wheel, or you may damage the collapsible steering column.
- Disconnect the horn wire.
- Replace the wheel in the reverse order of removal. On the Rabbit, Jetta and Scirocco, install the steering wheel with the tires straight ahead and the canceling lug pointing to the left. On the Fox, Dasher and Quantum with the tires straight ahead, the canceling lug on the steering wheel must point to the right and the turn signal lever must be in the neutral position. Tighten the steering shaft nut to 36 ft. lbs. (48 Nm).