REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
There are 2 kinds of rear wiper motors used on Rabbits. Until 1976, a gear housing with a smooth cover plate was used; later models used a ribbed gear housing. Parts are different and cannot be combined between the two systems (except that the new style wiper motor bracket can be installed on earlier models). Scirocco motors are totally interchangeable, and their linkage remains unchanged.
Dasher, Fox and Quantum station wagons are also equipped with rear windshield wipers (optional). Golf models also have a rear wiper.
On all models, do not interchange the wires of terminal 53 and 53a on the rear wiper switch. Damage to the motor will result.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the inside trim panel from the hatch.
- Disconnect the relay rod from the drive crank on the motor.
- Remove the bolts securing the motor bracket to the body and move the assembly so the wiring can be disconnected.
- Remove the assembly and separate the motor from the mounting bracket.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Before connecting the relay rod, run the motor for about 1 minute, then turn the switch OFF. When the motor stops at the park position, install the relay rod and make sure the wiper arm is in the correct position.