Removal & Installation
- With the vehicle on the ground, remove the front axle nut.
- Raise and safely support vehicle and remove the front wheels.
- Remove the ball joint clamping bolt and push the control arm down, away from the ball joint.
- Remove the socket head bolts from the transaxle drive flange.
- Remove the halfshaft from the drive flange and support it below the flange. Do not let it hang by the outer CV-joint or the joint may fall apart.
- Push the halfshaft out of the hub. A wheel puller may be required.
- Fit the halfshaft to the drive flange and install the bolts. It is not necessary to tighten them yet.
- Apply a thread locking compound to the outer 1 / 4 inch of the spline. Slip the spline through the hub and loosely install a new axle nut.
- Assemble the ball joint and tighten the nut and bolt to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm).
- Install the wheel and hold it to keep the axle from turning. Tighten the drive flange bolts to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm).
- With the vehicle on the ground, tighten the axle nut to 175 ft. lbs. (240 Nm) or Cabriolet or 195 ft. lbs. (265 Nm) on Golf and Jetta
CV-JOINT AND BOOT OVERHAUL
Refer to the procedure for CV-joint overhaul under manual transaxle in this section.