REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Remove the negative battery cable.
- On 2.0L engines, detach the air intake, then remove the intake manifold. Loosen the valve cover bolts
- On 1.8L engines, remove the breather hose from the valve cover. Loosen and then remove all of the fasteners.
- Remove the valve cover from the cylinder head.
- Remove the valve cover gasket. Clean and prep the surface of the valve cover.
- Clean the surface of the cylinder head.
- Install a new gasket and then the valve cover.
- The remainder of the procedure is the reverse of removal.
- Remove the spark plug connectors.
- Detach the intake manifold cover and the intake manifold.
- Remove the Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) breather valve.
- Remove the air intake hose from the throttle housing.
- Disconnect the throttle cable.
- Remove the radiator cap.
- Clamp the coolant hose off at the throttle body.
- Remove the oil dipstick guide tube.
- Detach all necessary vacuum hoses and electrical connectors.
- Remove the upper intake manifold. As a time saver leave the throttle housing connected to the intake during removal.
- Remove the nuts along the perimeter of the cylinder head cover.
- Lift off the cylinder head cover.
- Remove the cylinder head cover gasket.
- Installation is the reversal of removal. Remember to use a new gasket between the upper intake manifold and its lower portion. The cylinder head cover gasket is to be replaced if it is worn or damaged.