REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
The oil pan can be removed with the engine in the vehicle. On some vehicles, it may be necessary to lower the subframe to service the oil pan.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle and drain the oil.
On some VW 4 cyl. engines, it may be difficult to access the pan mounting bolts at the flywheel side of the engine. VW special tool #3185 or equivalent may be needed.
- Loosen and remove the bolts retaining the oil pan.
- Lower the pan from the engine.
- Be sure the gasket surface is flat and install the pan with a new gasket.
Tighten the retaining bolts in a crisscross pattern as follows:
2.0L (ABA) engine: 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm)
- Refill the engine with oil. Start the engine and check for leaks.