REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
The rear main oil seal is located in a housing on the rear of the cylinder block. To replace the seal on all vehicles it is necessary to remove the transaxle and flywheel.
- Remove the transaxle and flywheel.
- On 6-cylinder engines, pry the old seal out of the support ring.
- On 4-cylinder engines, remove the oil seal with the mounting flange as a complete unit.
- On 6-cylinder engines, oil the new seal and press it into place using tool VW-2003/2A, or equivalent, to start the seal and tool VW-2003/1, or equivalent, to seat the seal. Be careful not to damage the seal or score the crankshaft.
- On 4-cylinder engines, install a new mounting flange with seal using a new gasket. Tighten the mounting flange bolts to 7 ft. lbs. (10 Nm).
- Install the flywheel and transaxle.