removal & installation
Gasoline 4 cyl.
- Remove the expansion tank cap.
- Set the heater control to the hot position.
- Place a drain pan under the water pump.
- Remove the attaching clip from the connector pipe that is going into the water pump.
- Pull the connecting pipe from the water pump and allow the coolant to drain into the drain pan below.
- Remove the negative battery cable.
On some Diesel engines, the belt tension is adjusted with shims between the outer and inner halves of the pulley. On others, the alternator swivels to adjust belt tension.
- To drain the cooling system, remove the thermostat housing from under the water pump housing.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Working under the vehicle, loosen but don't remove the bolts holding the pulley to the water pump.
- On vehicles with a movable alternator, loosen the alternator and remove the drive belt.
- Remove the water pump pulley and remove the pump.
Installation is the reverse of removal. Be sure to clean the pump housing before installing the new gasket. Tighten the following:
Water pump-to-housing-7 ft. lbs. (10 Nm)
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the engine cover and under cover.
- Drain and recycle the engine coolant.
Position the lock carrier into the service position, as follows:
- Remove the front bumper.
- Tag and remove any wiring or connector that would inhibit locking the carrier.
- Remove the three quick-release screws on the front noise insulation panel.
- Unbolt the air guide between the lock carrier and the air filter.
- If installed, remove the retaining clamps for the wiring harness at the left side of the radiator frame.
- Remove the No. 2 bolts and install Support tool 3369 or equivalent.
- Remove the remaining bolts and pull the lock carrier out to the stop.
- To secure the lock carrier, install the appropriate M6 bolts into the rear of the lock carrier and fender.
- Remove the accessory drive belt, fan clutch and belt pulleys.
- If necessary, remove the drive belt tensioner.
- Remove the coolant pump assembly bracket.
- Remove the coolant pump from the bracket.
- Clean all gasket and sealing surfaces.
- Using a new O-ring, install the coolant pump onto the bracket and tighten the mounting bolts to 7 ft. lbs. (10 Nm).
- Using a new gasket and O-ring, install the coolant pump bracket and tighten the mounting bolts in alphabetical sequence to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
- Tighten the coolant pump housing to the timing belt cover mounting bolt (F) to 7 ft. lbs. (10 Nm).
- If removed, install the drive belt tensioner.
- Install the belt pulleys, fan clutch and accessory drive belt.
- Return the lock carrier into the normal position.
- Fill the engine with coolant.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Start the vehicle and check for leaks.
- Install the engine cover and under cover.
- Check and clear any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs).
- Remove the negative battery cable.
- Drain the cooling system.
- Remove the air cleaner assembly.
- Loosen the coolant pump bolts once the accessory drive belt is loosened but still installed.
- Remove the drive belt from the pulleys once the direction of the belt has been marked.
- Separate the exhaust pipe from the catalytic converter.
- Unbolt and relocate the coolant reservoir out of your way.
- Raise the engine slightly.
- Remove the bolts from the right and left rear engine mounts.
- Remove the coolant pump mounting bolts.
- Raise the engine just enough that the water pump can be removed.
- Clean all surfaces of the pump and the mounting area before installing the pump.
- Align the engine on its mounts using the engine alignment procedure.
- The remainder of the procedure is the reverse of removal.