REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise the vehicle and support it on jackstands. Remove the wheels.
- Remove the nut and bolt attaching the ball joint to the hub (wheel bearing housing), then pry the joint down and out of the hub.
- Remove the stabilizer bar.
- Detach the control arm mounting bolts from the frame.
- Remove the bolts securing the control arm, then remove the arm.
Installation is the reverse of removal. Observe the following torque's:
Fox control arm-to-subframe bolts-50 ft. lbs. (37 Nm).
When removing the driver's side control arm on Golf and Jetta equipped with an automatic transaxle, it may be necessary to lift the engine/transaxle. First support the engine from above or below. Remove the front left engine mounting nut and bolt, remove the rear mount and raise the engine to expose the front control arm bolt.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle and remove the wheels.
- Remove the ball joint clamping bolt and pry the control arm down.
- Remove the rubber bushings to unfasten the stabilizer bar.
- Remove the control arm mounting bolts and remove the control arm.
Installation is the reverse of removal. Tighten the following components:
Cabriolet control arm bushing bolts-50 ft. lbs. (68 Nm).
- Remove the control arm.
- Position the control arm on a press. Carefully push the bushing out of the control arm using the press.
- Lightly lubricate, then position the bushing on the control arm. On Golf and Jetta models, align one arrow with the dimple on the control arm (the kidney shaped opening in the bushing must face the center of the vehicle when the control arm is installed).
- Carefully press the bushing into the control arm.
- Install the control arm.
- Chock the rear wheels and then lift the vehicle supporting it on jack stands.
- Remove the front wheel.
- Base suspension models require the removal of the connecting link to the control arm.
- Plus suspension models require the removal of the nut that attaches the stabilizer bar to the control arm.
- Separate the link from the arm.
- Matchmark the correct installed position of the ball joint into the control arm.
- Remove the ball joint.
- Remove the pivot bolt from the control arm.
- Remove the rear control arm mounting bolt.
- Pull the rear control arm from the vehicle.
- Install the control arm and slide the ball joint into it.
- Push the control arm pivot bolt through the control arm. Also install the rear mounting bolt. Tighten the pivot bolt to 37 ft. lbs. (50Nm) and then turn it another 90°. The rear mounting bolt is to be tightened to 52 ft. lbs. (70Nm) and then turn it 90°.
- Align the ball joint retaining plate on top of the control arm then install the ball joint bolts. Tighten the bolts to 26 ft. lbs. (35Nm).
- Install the connecting links.
- Install the wheel and tire. Tighten the lug nuts to 81 ft. lbs. (110 Nm).