REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. This job is easier with the steering wheel removed.
- To disconnect the speedometer cable, reach behind the panel from below and squeeze the tabs of the plastic cable clip. Pull the cable out. On 1993-99 Golf and Jetta models you will have to pull the instrument cluster out of the dash to access the wiring harnesses.
- Remove the radio and the heater control knobs.
- The switches are held in place with spring clips or barbs. Carefully pry the switches out of the dashboard and disconnect the wiring.
- Remove the screws to remove the instrument trim panel.
- Remove the screws and lay the instrument cluster down on the steering column. Disconnect the wiring and remove the cluster.
- Connect the wiring and fit the lower edge of the instrument cluster into place.
- Lift the cluster into place and install the screws.
- Install the trim panel and all the switches.
- Before installing the radio, connect the battery and make sure all switches and instruments work properly.
- Install the radio and heater controls. Enter the radio security code.