REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
On the Cabriolet, the back-up light switch is mounted in one of three positions: screwed into the front face of the transaxle beside the oil filler plug, screwed into the top of the transaxle case to the left of the shift linkage, or mounted as a microswitch on top of the transaxle with a lever that is activated by the external shift linkage.Fox
The Fox back-up light switch is screwed into the rear of the transaxle housing. Simply unscrew it from the housing to remove or replace.1990-92 Golf and Jetta
The back-up light switch includes the fifth gear switch used by the up-shift light. It is mounted to the selector shaft housing on top of the transaxle, secured with 2 bolts and sealed with an O-ring.
- Make sure the transaxle is in neutral.
- Disconnect the wiring and remove the bolts to remove the switch. Be careful not to loose the O-ring or bolt bushings.
- Fit the bushings and O-ring onto the switch and install it onto the transaxle. Tighten the bolts to 7 ft. lbs. (10 Nm) and connect the wiring.
- Remove the negative battery cable.
- Remove the electrical connector.
- Unscrew the switch using a wrench to break it loose.
- Remove the back up light switch from the housing.
- Keep the O-ring.
- Installation is the reverse of removal.
The back-up lights cannot be adjusted.