REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
1990-94 Cabriolet, 1990-93 Fox, 1990-92 Golf and Jetta
- Grasp the center cover pad and pull it from the wheel.
- Loosen and remove the steering shaft nut, then the washer.
- Matchmark the steering wheel position in relation to the steering shaft so that when you install it, the wheel is perfectly level when the tires are straight ahead.
- Pull the steering wheel off the shaft. You may need a puller to perform this operation. Under no circumstances should you bang on the shaft to try to free the wheel, or you may damage the collapsible steering column.
- Disconnect the horn wire.
- Replace the wheel in the reverse order of removal. On the Fox with the tires straight ahead, the canceling lug on the steering wheel must point to the right and the turn signal lever must be in the neutral position. Tighten the steering shaft nut to 36 ft. lbs. (48 Nm).
- Remove the negative battery cable.
- Center the steering wheel.
- Remove the air bag mounting screws from rear of the steering wheel.
- Carefully remove the air bag from the steering wheel.
- Matchmark the steering wheel and the column. Remove the hex nut and remove the steering wheel.
- The steering wheel and its components can be installed in the reverse order of removal.
See the air bag removal and installation sections in this guide to ensure safe installation.