The automatic transmission is removed together with the engine, front final drive and transfer case. The procedure for this is described in this section under Engine Assembly removal and installation.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Remove the engine.
- Remove the starter motor.
- Unbolt the torque converter from the drive plate.
- Make sure that at least two plates on the lifting table are placed under the oil pan as support for the automatic transmission.
- Remove the transfer case.
- Support the transmission with a hoist.
- Loosen and detach the ATF lines.
- Remove all the connecting bolts securing the transmission to the engine.
Carefully pull the transmission from the engine.
NOTEMake sure that the converter is also removed from the drive plate with the transmission.
Installation is the reverse of removal. Observe the following torque specifications (refer to the illustrations for bolt identification):
M12x60 (except starter): 59 ft. lbs. (80 Nm)
M12x60: 59 ft. lbs. (80 Nm)
- 3.2L engines: