Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
Loosen the 12-point hub nut on the wheel hub.
NOTELoosen and tighten the 12-point nut when the vehicle is on its wheels. Do not move the vehicle when the 12-point nut is loosened, otherwise the wheel bearing could be damaged. If the vehicle has to be moved with the halfshaft removed, an outer joint must be installed and the 12-point nut tightened to 111 ft. lbs. (150 Nm).
- Remove the wheel and raise the vehicle.
- Remove the halfshaft bolts from the front final drive. Use socket T10099/1 or equivalent to loosen the bolts.
- Press the tie rod from the steering knuckle.
- Press the drive axle out from the wheel bearing hub.
- Support the lower control arm/steering knuckle assembly.
- Press out the upper control arm from the steering knuckle.
- Loosen the strut lower control arm bolt.
- Remove the brake line retainer from the steering knuckle.
- Disconnect the link from the stabilizer bar.
- Pull out the bolt from the lower control arm.
- Lower the steering knuckle assembly until you are able to remove drive axle.
On vehicles with decouplable stabilizer bars, the stabilizer bars must be coupled in before proceeding. Otherwise, the risk of injury exists if the decoupled stabilizer bars become unintentionally coupled.
During production, a change was made from bonded to non-bonded halfshafts. If you find a bonded halfshaft in the vehicle, the following additional steps have to be performed:
- Clean the remaining locking compound from the splines on the outer joint and on the wheel hub.
- The surface should be clean metal; remove the grease from the spline on the outer joint and the wheel hub.
- Apply locking compound D 154 000 A1 or equivalent to the spline on the outer joint.
- When installing the shafts, guide the outer joint into the wheel hub splines as far as possible. Seat the halfshaft as far as the stop using seating tool T10206 or equivalent.
The remaining installation is the reverse of removal. Observe the following torque specifications:
M10 halfshaft bolts: 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm) plus an additional 1 / 4 turn