The steering angle sensor must be set using diagnostic tool VAS5051 after installation of the steering gear.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions in the beginning of this Section.
- Raise the vehicle and remove the front wheels.
- Clamp off the power steering intake and return line using hose clamps.
- Remove the nuts, and press the tie rods from the steering knuckle.
- Remove the left tie rod ball joint from the tie rod. Mark it's position before removing.
- Remove the retainers for the hydraulic lines. Disconnect the lines from the steering gear.
- Turn the steering to full left lock.
- If installed, remove the guard plate from the steering gear.
- Remove the bolt from the steering gear universal joint, then remove the universal joint from the steering gear.
- Remove the heat shield.
- Slide the steering gear to the right side of the vehicle.
Swing the left tie rod downward, then with the steering gear moved to the left side of the vehicle, remove it downward.
Installation is the reverse of removal. Bleed the steering system and perform a wheel alignment. Note the following torque specifications:
Hydraulic lines: 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm)