Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
Loosen the 12-point hub nut on the wheel hub.
NOTELoosen and tighten the 12-point nut when the vehicle is on its wheels. Do not move the vehicle when the 12-point nut is loosened, otherwise the wheel bearing could be damaged. If the vehicle has to be moved with the halfshaft removed, an outer joint must be installed and the 12-point nut tightened to 111 ft. lbs. (150 Nm).
- Remove the wheel and raise the vehicle.
- Remove the halfshaft bolts from the rear final drive. Use socket T10099 or equivalent to loosen the bolts.
Remove the lower bolt from the control arm. Insert a block of wood between the control arm and the wheel bearing housing.
CAUTIONIf this block of wood is not inserted, there is a risk of injury!
- Press out the drive axle.
Push the drive axle as far as possible beyond the final drive flange so that the outer joint can be pulled out of the wheel bearing spline.
On vehicles with decouplable stabilizer bars, the stabilizer bars must be coupled in before proceeding. Otherwise, the risk of injury exists if the decoupled stabilizer bars become unintentionally coupled.
During production, a change was made from bonded to non-bonded halfshafts. If you find a bonded halfshaft in the vehicle, the following additional steps have to be performed:
- Clean the remaining locking compound from the splines on the outer joint and on the wheel hub.
- The surface should be clean metal; remove the grease from the spline on the outer joint and the wheel hub.
- Apply locking compound D 154 000 A1 or equivalent to the spline on the outer joint.
- Coat the spline with assembly paste G 052 109 A2 or equivalent.
- When installing the shafts, guide the outer joint into the wheel hub splines as far as possible. Seat the halfshaft as far as the stop using seating tool T10206 or equivalent. Make absolutely sure that you are pressing only on the wheel bearing housing.
The remaining installation is the reverse of removal. Observe the following torque specifications:
Halfshaft bolts: 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm) plus an additional 1 / 4 turn