Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions in the beginning of this Section.
- Remove the halfshaft.
- Secure the brake rotor with a wheel bolt.
- Remove the brake caliper and secure it with wire out of the way.
- Remove the wheel bolt and the brake rotor. Remove the disc shield.
- Unclip the wheel speed sensor wire from the retainer.
- Remove the bolt and the ABS wheel speed sensor.
Unhook the parking brake cable from wheel bearing housing and remove parking brake shoes.
CAUTIONOn vehicles with decouplable stabilizer bars, the stabilizer bars must be coupled in before proceeding. Otherwise, the risk of injury exists if the decoupled stabilizer bars become unintentionally coupled.
The following tools or their commercially available equivalents can be used to remove and install the hub and bearing:
Hydraulic press VAS 6178
- Attach the puller to the wheel hub using wheel bolts. Pull the wheel hub out.
- Remove the circlip.
Assemble the tools as shown in illustration. Pull the wheel bearing out.
NOTEThe shoulder of press plate T10205/6 must point toward the final drive.
To pull the inner race off the wheel hub, install the separating tool behind the inner race.
NOTEThe chamfers on the jaws face toward the inner race.
CAUTIONTo prevent injury, hold the tool when pulling the bearing inner race off so that the race faces downward.
- Make sure that the rubberized ABS sensor ring faces towards the final drive. If no rubberized ring is visible, check using a paper clip which of the two sides is magnetic. When installed, this side must face toward final drive.
Install the tools as shown in illustration to press the bearing in.
NOTEThe shoulder of the press plate T10205/9 must face toward wheel bearing housing.
Press in the wheel bearing up to the stop.
NOTEIf using hydraulic press VAS 6178, the pressure reading must be between 100 and 190 bar shortly before the end of pressing in. The maximum pressure should not exceed 310 bar.
- Install the circlip.
Assemble the tools as shown in illustration to press the wheel hub in.
NOTEThe shoulder of the press plate T10205/6 must point toward the final drive.
Press in the wheel bearing as far as the stop.
NOTEIf using hydraulic press VAS 6178, the pressure reading must be between 30 and 100 bar shortly before the end of pressing in. The maximum pressure should not exceed 140 bar.
- The remaining installation is the reverse of removal.