The fuel injection system operates under high pressure. This makes it necessary to first relieve the system of pressure before servicing. The pressurized fuel, when released, may ignite or cause personal injury.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
Remove the fuel pump fuses 13 and 14 in the left plenum chamber. The fuse can be removed to stop the fuel pump from running. With the engine operating at idle, wait until the engine stalls from fuel starvation.
- Switch the ignition OFF and remove the negative battery cable.
- Slowly and carefully open the fuel tank filler cap for a brief moment and reinstall.
- Carefully loosen the fuel line on the control pressure regulator or component to be serviced.
- Wrap a clean rag around the connection, while loosening, to catch any fuel.
- After service is complete, discard the fuel soaked rag in the proper manner and reconnect negative battery cable and fuses.