REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
In addition to a driver side air bag module, some models contain a passenger side air bag module, located above the glove box.Driver Side
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Place the front wheels in a straight-ahead position.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable AND TAPE the cable end away from the battery.
- Turn the ignition key to position I so that the steering lock is OFF.
- On some models, remove the sound insulation knee guard and the side panel from the center console.
- Turn the steering wheel slightly in order to reach the 2 Torx® bolts in back of the steering wheel.
- Remove the two attaching bolts.
- Disconnect the connector and remove the air bag module.
Do not turn the ignition switch
ON while the air bag assembly is removed, as this will register a fault code.To install:
- Rest the bottom of the air bag assembly on the steering wheel and reattach the connector.
- Place the air bag module in position, being careful not to get the leads caught.
- Install and tighten the retaining bolts to 53 inch lbs. (6 Nm).
When tightening the air bag assembly retaining bolts, tighten the right side bolt first.
- Install the knee guard (if removed).
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Turn the ignition on and check the SRS system for codes.
The passenger side air bag is removed when the instrument panel cover is removed. See the Instrument Cluster Removal and Installation procedure, later in this section, for removal of the cover. After the cover is removed, the air bag module is simply unbolted from the cover. To install, tighten the module retaining bolts and install the cover back onto the instrument panel.