REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
This procedure covers removal and installation of the extension housing seal with the transmission mounted in the vehicle.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Matchmark the driveshaft with the coupling.
- Disconnect the driveshaft.
- Using tool 5244 or equivalent for a round coupling flange, remove the coupling flange nut. Use a spanner (tool 5149 or equivalent) to prevent the flange from rotating.
- Remove the coupling flange, using a suitable puller (tool 2261 or equivalent).
- Unfasten the retaining bolts and remove the housing with the governor assembly.
- Remove the gasket from the housing.
- Clean the sealing areas thoroughly.
- Install a new gasket onto the housing.
- Install the housing with the governor housing attached, and tighten the bolts to 20-35 ft. lbs. (27-47 Nm).
- Press the coupling flange into place, using tool 1845 or equivalent.
- Install the coupling flange nut and tighten to 65-85 ft. lbs. (90-110 Nm).
- Install the driveshaft.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Connect the negative battery cable.