REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
This procedure does not apply to hydraulic clutches.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Disconnect the clutch cable from the clutch fork. Some vehicles are equipped with a release bearing that rotates. These vehicles will have a clutch return spring at the pedal assembly.
- Disconnect the cable at the pedal assembly.
- Remove the cable. On some early vehicles, the clutch cable is fitted with a weight. Do not replace the weight when installing the new cable.
- Install the cable in the vehicle.
- Connect the clutch cable at the clutch fork and the pedal assembly.
- Adjust the clutch cable.
See Figures 1 and 2
- Clutch play is adjusted under the vehicle at the clutch fork.
- Loosen the locknut on the fork side of the cable bracket and turn the adjust nut until the proper play is achieved.
- Tighten the locknut.
Vehicles equipped with hydraulic clutch assemblies are not adjustable.
- Clutch play for all engines except turbocharged is 0.12-0.20 in. (3-5mm). Turbocharged engine clutch play (free movement rearward) is 0.04-0.12 in. (1-3mm).