See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Connect adapter 999-5484 or equivalent to fuel drainage unit 981-2270, 2273 or 2282 or suitable equivalent.
- Remove the protective cap from the valve on the rear of the fuel rail.
- Connect the adapter in the locked or closed position to the valve on the fuel rail.
- Start the fuel drainage unit.
- Unlock or open the adapter valve.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the fuel filter valve cap.
- Connect vent hose 999 5480 or equivalent to the upstream valve of the fuel filter.
- Drain the system for approximately 2 minutes.
- When the system is drained, disconnect vent hose and install the valve cap.
- Lower the vehicle and disconnect the adapter from the fuel rail.
- Install the valve cap.
- Install the protective cap for the fuel rail and throttle pulley cover.
An alternative method is to remove the fuel pump relay or fuse (if equipped) and idle the engine until it stalls, thereby relieving the fuel pressure. Place the ignition key in the OFF position and reinstall the fuel pump relay/fuse.