REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
This procedure covers removal and installation of the extension housing seal with the transmission mounted in the vehicle.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Matchmark the driveshaft with the coupling.
- Disconnect the driveshaft. Use tool 5244 or equivalent for a round coupling flange.
- Remove the coupling flange nut. Use spanner 5149 or equivalent to prevent the flange from rotating.
- Remove the coupling flange, using a suitable puller (tool 2261 or equivalent).
- Carefully pry the seal from the housing.
- Clean the sealing areas thoroughly.
- Install a new seal using a suitable drift (2412 for M46 or 5064 for M47 or their equivalent).
- Press the coupling flange into place, using tool 1845 or equivalent.
- Install the coupling flange nut. Tighten to 126 ft. lbs. (175 Nm) on the M46 or 65-80 ft. lbs. (90-110 Nm) on the M47.
- Install the driveshaft.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Connect the negative battery cable.