REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Drive the vehicle forward on a level surface so that the wheels are straight.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable AND TAPE the cable end.
- Turn the ignition key to position I so that the steering lock is OFF.
- Remove the air bag assembly, as described in Chassis Electrical .
- Remove the steering wheel mounting bolt.
- Lock the contact reel: Release the locking screw in the end of the plastic strip from its parking hole in the steering wheel. Screw must always remain in plastic strip. Attach the locking screw to the contact reel pin. The contact reel is now locked in the zero position.
Remove the steering wheel, being careful to pull the lead and plastic strip with the screw through the hole in the middle.To install:
- Install the steering wheel.
- Set the steering wheel so that the contact reel pin is in the center of the steering wheel hole.
- Install the steering wheel nut finger-tight.
- Remove the screw in the contact reel plastic strip and install in its parking hole in steering wheel.
- Tighten the steering wheel nut to 42 ft. lbs. (60 Nm).
- Install the air bag assembly.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Check the vehicle operation and SRS system for fault codes.