Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
Remove or disconnect the following:
- Pull the hub off of the stub shaft.
- Pry the inner joint out of the transaxle and remove the axle halfshaft.
- Install the axle halfshaft so that the circlip is felt to seat in the retainer groove.
- Guide the stub shaft into the hub.
Install or connect the following:
Hub retainer nut and tighten the nut to 89 ft. lbs. (120 Nm) plus 60°
- Remove the halfshaft from the vehicle and secure in a vise.
- Remove the boot clamps and cut the boot off of the shaft.
- Measure and record the distance of the tripod joint in relation to the CV-joint housing.
Using a brass drift on suitable equivalent, tap the CV-joint housing off of the shaft.
Matchmark the tripod joint and remove the snap ring.
Matchmark and remove the vibration damper from the halfshaft, if equipped with automatic transmission.
WARNINGDo not separate the outer joint from the halfshaft.
- Clean the outer joint and check for damage.
- Install the vibration damper, if equipped with automatic transmission.
- Using Special Tool 999-5519, tap the tripod joint onto the halfshaft.
- Install the snap ring to the tripod joint.
- Lubricate the rollers of the tripod joint with grease.
- Install the CV-joint housing.
- Carefully insert a suitable prying device between the halfshaft and boot to vent any over pressure in the boot.
- Install new clamps onto the boot and tighten with Special Tool 951-2619.
The inner CV-joint is serviced with the axle shaft as an assembly. The inner CV-joint boot can be serviced by removing the outer CV-joint.