Removal & Installation
5- & 6-Cylinder Engines
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Remove intake manifold. Refer to Intake Manifold removal and installation.
Remove spark plugs from:
- Cylinders 1 and 5-5-cylinder engine
- Cylinders 2 and 5-6-cylinder engine
Install two camshaft cover press tools 999 5454 into the vacated spark plug holes. Ensure that the bolt in the spark plug well is fully tightened 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm).
NOTELeave a 0.079- 0.118 inch (2-3mm) gap to the camshaft cover when installing the press tools 999 5454.
Remove variable valve timing (VVT) solenoid.
- Remove all bolts securing the camshaft cover to cylinder head.
- Use pliers 999 5670 to lift camshaft cover from cylinder head.
- Carefully press out the front and rear camshaft seals.
- Remove the two press tools 999 5454 from spark plug holes.
- Remove the camshaft cover.
- Install new O-rings around spark plug wells at cylinder head.
Apply liquid gasket 1161 059 to the camshaft cover using roller 951 2767.
NOTEThe surface must be covered without any excess. Ensure that no liquid gasket gets into the oil ducts.
- Lubricate camshaft lobes, camshaft bearing surfaces, and valve lifters with clean engine oil.
- Put camshaft cover in place.
- Install the two press tools 999 5454.
- Begin to tighten the camshaft cover bolts alternately, keeping camshaft cover parallel to the cylinder head using the press tools.
- Tighten the bolts in sequence from the center and outwards to 88 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
- Remove the press tools 999 5454.
Variable valve timing (VVT) solenoid. Use a new gasket. Tighten center bolt to 89 ft. lbs. (120 Nm), center plug to 26 ft. lbs. (35 Nm)