Removal & Installation
5- & 6-Cylinder Engines
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
Remove the transaxle or transmission:
- If automatic, refer to Automatic Transaxle (or Transmission) Assembly removal and installation.
- If manual, refer to Manual Transaxle (or Transmission) Assembly removal and installation.
- Remove the engine speed (RPM) sensor with the bracket.
- Block the flexplate using gear sector 999 5112.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Check the crankshaft seal for leakage. Replace seal if necessary. Refer to Rear Main Seal removal and installation.
NOTEEnsure that the mating surfaces on the crankshaft and flexplate are completely clean.
Install tool 999 5678, which consists of 3 studs with nuts.
NOTECheck that the locating pin on the crankshaft is positioned opposite the hole in the flexplate. Locate gear sector 999 5112 against the flexplate.
Pull the flexplate towards the crankshaft using the 3 nuts on special tool 999 5678.
CAUTIONThe flexplate must lie against the crankshaft flange before the bolts are installed. There is a risk that excess locking fluid on the bolts will come between the mating surfaces.
- Install 7 new bolts after applying locking fluid. Tighten crosswise to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm).
- Remove the 3 nuts and studs of special tool 999 5678.
- Install the remaining 3 new bolts with locking fluid applied. Tighten to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm).
- Angle-tighten all 10 bolts in a crosswise pattern 50°
- Install the engine speed (RPM) sensor with the bracket and tighten to 88 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
- Install the transaxle or transmission.