REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 8
- Remove the transmission, clutch (if so equipped), and flywheel (match mark with crankshaft) from the engine. Remove the two pan bolts from the bottom of the sealing flange on all models except the diesel, and loosen two more on each side so that the pressure on the sealing flange is reduced.
- On B20, B30, and B21 engines, remove the sealing flange retaining bolts and pull off the sealing flange and old gasket. Press out the sealing ring in the flange with a drift. On the B20 with felt ring type seal, remove the circlip and washer first.
- For all other models, including the diesel, use a prytool to pry the rear seal out of the flange. Do not remove the flange from the engine and use caution not to damage surfaces on flange (holder) or crankshaft. For the B23/B230/B234 family, note the position of the seal in relation to the flange; the new seal must be reinstalled in the same position.
- Make sure the sealing surfaces of the flange are clean. Also, make sure that the oil drain hole is not blocked by the oil pan gasket.
- On the B20 with rubber seal, and all other engines, oil and install the oil seal in the flange. This job is correctly done with a seal driver of the proper diameter. Volvo has several special tools available for this purpose (tool numbers vary by engine application); similar tools are available from reliable retail suppliers. If buying tools, make sure the set includes the diameter you need for the particular job at hand.
When installing the oil seal in the flange on the B30 engine, if you have access to Volvo tool No. 2817, the oil seal can be installed in three different positions according to crankshaft wear. On a new or unworn crankshaft, fit the seal in its outer position (the center bolt in the tool fully screwed in). On a worn crankshaft, fit the seal with the center bolt in the tool screwed out a couple of turns or completely. The seals for the B23/B230/B234 can also be sized by removing the appropriate spacer rings before installation; to do this, the use of Volvo tool No. 5276 is required. On the B20 engine with felt seal, install and center the flange on the engine (tool No. 2439) then check that the flange is flush against the under side of the block and fit a new felt ring, washer and circlip. Make sure the circlip is engaged in its groove. On the diesel engine, oil and install the rear seal in the flange, being careful not to damage the seal lip.
- Using gentle force, tap the seal in until the installing tool abuts the crankshaft.
- Install and tighten such oil pan bolts as were loosened for access.
Install flywheel (or flexplate for automatic trans), observing proper placement onto crankshaft. Carefully observe placement of any shims, washers or locking hardware involved. Tighten the bolts in a diagonal pattern as follows:
B21/B23/B230/B234 engines: 50 ft. lbs. (68 Nm)
- Install clutch assembly if so equipped.
- Install the transmission.