REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
- Disconnect and reposition as necessary any vacuum or PCV hoses that obstruct the valve cover(s).
- Label and remove any wires (spark plug wiring, ground wires, etc.) that may obstruct the valve cover(s).
- Unbolt and remove the valve cover(s). If the cover is to be off for a period of hours or days, cover the exposed rockers with a rag to prevent dirt accumulation.
Do not pry the cover off if it seems stuck. Instead, gently tap around each cover with a rubber mallet until the old gasket breaks loose. A bent valve cover is extremely hard to straighten and will provide endless oil leaks for you to pursue.
- Peel and if necessary scrape off the old gasket material without gouging the aluminum mating edge of the valve cover. The surface should be completely free of material before installing the new gasket.
- Always use a new valve cover gasket. Install the valve cover(s) and tighten cover bolts to 3 ft. lbs. (4 Nm). Do not overtighten the bolts; you may distort the cover and cause oil leaks.
On B234 engines, silicone sealant must be applied at the front and rear camshaft bearing caps before the gasket is installed.
- Connect and reposition all vacuum and PCV hoses, and reconnect any electrical wires that were removed.