REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
B21, B23 and B230 Engines
See Figures 1 and 2
- Loosen the fan shroud and remove the fan. Remove the shroud.
- Loosen the alternator, air pump, power steering pump (if so equipped), and AC compressor (if so equipped) and remove their drive belts. Note that no hoses are to be disconnected; simply move the entire unit out of the way.
- Remove the water pump pulley. This step is not necessary on B234 engines.
- Remove the four retaining bolts and lift off the timing belt cover. On the B234, the timing belt cover is in three sections; remove the upper section first and work to the lowest one.
- Reverse the above procedure to install. Double check all installation items, paying particular attention to loose hoses or hanging wires, loose nuts, poor routing of hoses and wires (too tight or rubbing) and tools left in the engine area.
FRONT TIMING GEAR COVER
See Figure 3
The front timing gear cover is removed by unsnapping the spring clips holding the cover and pulling the cover up and out. To install the cover, simply reverse the procedure.
To remove the rear timing gear cover, remove the two bolts in the cover and lift the cover out. When installing, adjust the cover in the bolt slots so that it is not touching the drive belt or other moving parts.