REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
- Inside the engine compartment, remove the screw and the plastic cover over the back of the lighting units.
- Disconnect the wire from the fog light.
- Squeeze the holder together and pull it straight back, releasing the bulb.
- Remove the old bulb and install the new one. Make sure the bulb is properly seated; the guides on the bulb will only allow it to lock in place in one position.
- Refit the holder and connect the wire. Install the plastic cover and its screw.
While the 200 series does not have integrated front fog lights (they can be added as separate units), in the mid-80s the cars began arriving with rear fog lights. Although these lamps appear to be the same as the red tail lights, they use a higher intensity (wattage) lamp.
The lamp is changed in identical fashion to a tail light bulb but care must be used in purchasing the replacement. The bulb will have identifying codes on its base and these codes should be matched exactly when replacing the lamp.700 Series
See Figure 1
Cars in the 700 series may have front fog lamps either integrated into the headlight assembly or installed as separate units below the bumper.
- Turn the integrated type bulb a quarter turn counter-clockwise to release the socket from the lamp assembly. You may have to remove the washer reservoir to gain access.
- With the socket removed, release the side catches and remove the lamp.
- Hold the lamp only by the base and do not touch the glass with your fingers. Make sure it is correctly positioned within the lens housing.
- Remove the screw in the vertical plastic retainer on each side of the foglight lens and remove the retainers.
- Carefully lift the glass lens assembly out of the plastic mount. There are wires attached to the back of it.
- Disengage the wires to the lamp and the ground connection. Note that the connectors are different; they will only reassemble in the correct manner.
- On the back of the lens, push down on the ends of the spring clip and spread the clip out from under its holder. Swing the clip out of the way.
- Pull the bulb out of the reflector. Install the new bulb in the reflector and make sure that the square notch in the bulb flange fits over the guide on the reflector.
- Swing the spring clip over the bulb and secure it in its clamps.
- Reconnect the wiring to the ground and the bulb.
- Place the reflector assembly back in the plastic housing and install the vertical retainers. Install the screws but do not overtighten.
The rear fog lights on all 700 series are integrated into the tail lamp assemblies. The bulbs are changed in identical fashion to the tail light bulbs, but care should be used in purchasing replacements. Note the code on the base of the bulb and obtain a replacement lamp of the same wattage.