All Volvo rear axles use API GL-5 SAE 90W gear oil. For climates where the temperature is constantly below 15°F (-10°C), API GL-5 SAE 80W oil can be used. On cars with limited slip differentials, use oils with the proper additives to protect these units.
Check the rear axle fluid level at least twice a year. The vehicle must be level and, if raised on jackstands, both ends of the car must be raised the same amount. To check the oil level, remove the filler plug in the back of the differential case. Gear oil should be even with or just flowing out of the filler hole. If not, add the specified gear oil; on cars equipped with limited slip differentials, use only gear oil with the appropriate additives.
DRAIN AND REFILL
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6
The oil in the rear axle is changed after the first 1200-1500 miles (1932-2415 km), and thereafter only if the unit is rebuilt.
- Position a suitable container beneath the drain plug.
- Remove the drain plug, allowing the warm oil to drain into a container.
- Clean the drain plug of all metal filings and foreign impurities, then reinstall the drain plug.
- Remove the filler plug. Fill the axle to the bottom of the filler hole with API GL-5 SAE 90 gear oil.
- Clean, then reinstall the filler plug.