REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
M45/M46 Transmissions Through 1984
See Figures 1 and 2
- Remove the gearshift boot. >Remove the gearshift boot. Remove the left side cover panel from the center console and disconnect the reverse light connector.
- Bend a piece of stiff wire into a large "S" shape and slide it down the right side of the transmission tunnel. This will be used to keep the wire harness from vanishing into an impossible location.
- Safely elevate the front of the car and support it on jackstands.
- Gain access to the switch and disconnect the wiring.
- Install the new switch and, using the S-hook, position the cable properly and resecure it to the gearshift carrier rod.
- Lower the vehicle and attach the connector for the reverse lights.
- Remove the S-hook, reinstall the left side panel on the console and the shift boot.
- Elevate the car's front and rear, and safely support on jackstands.
- Matchmark and remove the front driveshaft from the transmission or overdrive unit; lower the shaft out of the way.
- Position and support the transmission with a jack or transmission hoist.
- Loosen, but do not separate the exhaust joint at the right side of the transmission case.
- Carefully remove the transmission crossmember from the body.
- Lower the rear end of the gearbox.
- Disconnect the wiring from the switch. Thoroughly clean the area around the switch before removing it.
- After replacing the switch and connecting the wiring, check its function before reassembling everything.
- Raise the gearbox back into position and install the crossmember. Position and tighten the exhaust joint.
- Reinstall the driveshaft. Lower the car from its stands.